We are now proudly part of a global community of over 4,000 companies doing business that puts people and place first – by reducing inequality, lowering levels of poverty, creating healthier environments, building stronger communities and imbuing jobs with dignity and purpose. We’ve made some radical changes and we’ve now got the top certification in the world to prove it.
Read on to discover what it means to be a B Corp and how we got there.
What is a Certified B Corporation?
Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
Society’s most challenging problems cannot be solved by government and non-profits alone. The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.
B Corps form a community of leaders and drive a global movement of people using business as a force for good. The values and aspirations of the B Corp community are embedded in the B Corp Declaration of Interdependence.
How did T2 become a
Our Volunteer Leave Program provides our teams globally an opportunity to volunteer with a community organisation that is meaningful to them, creating a true sense of giving back to the local communities we live, work and play in.
Being a B Corp organisation means we are now part of a global movement intent on redefining success in business by challenging companies to be both the best IN the world and do the best FOR the world.
Here’s a snapshot of just a few of the changes we’ve made to help us get to B Corp status.
Product & packaging
- In 2018 when we decided to switch our entire tea range to sustainably sourced ingredients, we knew it was going to take time (and many rounds of tea tasting!) to make the switch from 2% in 2018 to 100%. In June 2021 we were able to meet our 100% goal, with all new tea and tea ingredients purchased by T2 from this date being sustainably sourced through verified third party certifications.
- All T2 teabags are made entirely from plant-based sources.
- We’ve partnered with REDcycle, a closed loop recycling program in Australia which enables our customers to drop off our foil bags and tea sachets at most major supermarkets nation-wide.
- Our retail bags are now made from uncoated paper without any plastic lamination, making them 100% recyclable. We go through approximately two million retail bags per year, meaning this change will divert over 250 tonnes of waste from landfill annually.
- We phased out the use of plastic straws in our stores.
- Our in-store gift wrap and tissue paper (made from recycled paper) are all paper-based packaging without plastic lamination and are recyclable.
People & recruitment
- 75% of the leadership positions, and over three quarters of our global workforce are women.
- We introduced flexible working hours to ensure T2 offers a work-life balance that suits all lifestyles and personal situations.
- We are implementing ‘blind recruiting’ in 2021, which means that shortlisting job candidates is done without the hiring manager knowing an applicant’s name, date of birth, gender, educational institution or appearance.
- We engaged specialised recruitment agencies to ensure we are hiring team members of all ages, backgrounds and identities.
- Our Volunteer Leave Program provides our teams globally an opportunity to volunteer with a community organisation that is meaningful to them, creating a true sense of giving back to the local communities we live, work and play in.
Diversity & inclusion
- Implemented an Acknowledgement of Country at all major Australian T2 events in recognition of indigenous Australian communities.
- We officially celebrate events such as Harmony Day and International Day of Tolerance.
- Our recruitment strategies ensure we are hiring team members of all ages, backgrounds and identities.
- We have a Global Diversity and Inclusion Steering Committee as well as a bimonthly discussion groups with our LGBTQ+ and BIPOC team members
- We have implemented policy and systems review including accessibility, language and inclusiveness
- Our Diversity and Inclusion policy ensures that we are committed to a culturally safe workplace that fosters diversity and inclusion.
"We are thrilled to have T2 on board as a certified B Corporation. Since it first began as a shop-front in Fitzroy T2 has grown to become a major brand in the tea industry. From the beginning T2 has had a focus on purpose, people and planet. Their passion for the hard work of managing impact throughout their supply chain has been a key driver for their certification, with so much work behind the scenes going into making T2 a significant leader in sustainable sourcing. It's a great development for B Corps throughout Australia and New Zealand for a brand like T2 to join the B Corp community and we're looking forward to seeing T2 continue to thrive."
- Andrew Davies, CEO B Lab Australia and New Zealand